Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Book Worm

Ever since I was a kid I've loved reading. While most kids would get in trouble for watching TV at the dinner table, I would get in trouble for reading my book at the dinner table.

I went through a period in college where I wasn't reading for entertainment. Far too much reading for learning purposes which made me not want to read much more when the day was done. I've since gotten into the habit of reading before bed, which isn't always as much time as I'd hope, but it's the best I can do with my busy schedule.


I just recently finished two books in the past couple weeks. The first was Kendra Wilkinson's tell-all Sliding into Home. I am so fascinated with biographies, even if they're easy reads such as this one, because I love to hear about how other people live their lives. Especially when they are lives I couldn't ever see myself living.

For those who don't know who Kendra Wilkinson is, she was one of the stars of the TV show The Girls Next Door, showcasing the lives of Hugh Hefner and his three girlfriends at the time. Kendra was one of the girlfriends. I'm not usually into the ditzy girly stuff like that but I got hooked on this show, especially after spotting Hef and his crew in Vegas a few years ago for his birthday party weekend. So it was definitely interesting to learn who this TV show character really was off screen. Even more crazy was the events that really took place at the Playboy Mansion. I suppose I can't really be surprised, but it's all so different from what the TV show portrays.

I read this book in about 2 days and had a hard time putting it down. But, if reading about the life of an every day girl who becomes a drug addict, nears death, turns her life around, and suddenly gets a call from Hugh Hefner to be his girlfriend doesn't interest you, I wouldn't recommend this book.

Next in my pile was The Lo-Down by Lo Bosworth, whom you might know from the MTV show The Hills. The tagline on this book is 'Life and Love in the Hollywood Hills', and I had thought it was another biography. I was mistaken, this was a relationship book. I have nothing against relationship books. I've read a few of them in my day to get over some nasty breakups or for entertainment purposes (I recommend It's Called a Breakup Because it's Broken, He's Just Not That Into You, and Check Please!)

This one focused on loving yourself, finding the right guy and maintaining a good relationship, written like it was coming from a close girlfriend. I'm not going to lie, I skimmed through most of it because I didn't feel much of what was being said applied to me and my current relationship which is pretty fantastic.

I'm excited to get into my new book, Neil Strauss's Everyone Loves You When You're Dead. Neil is one of my favorite author's. This one is a bit thicker than the previous two, so I'll let you know how it is in a few weeks!

1 comment:

  1. my reading lately has mostly been my chemistry text book, boring right?
    I have Omnivores Dilemma on the go on my kindle, and the China study as well (the paperback) but i haven't found enough time to do leisure-reading lately

    ReplyDelete