Friday, March 11, 2011

Devastation

I woke up this morning to hear news of an 8.9 magnitude earthquake hitting Japan, followed by over 30 aftershocks and a massive tsunami. This earthquake is the largest ever to hit Japan, and the 5th largest in the world. Death tolls are expected to be over 1,000.

This news breaks my heart - Japan is one of my biggest loves. I spent 4 years throughout high school studying the language and culture. During the time I became close with both sensei's, hosted an exchange student and became friends with other students from Japan. My dream for the past ten years has been to travel there.

While the schools we dealt with in high school were on a different island further north, I hope that everyone I have met over the years is safe and unaffected by this tragic event. My heart is heavy thinking of the devastation to this country.

Because of this I have donated $100 from my travel fund to the Canadian Red Cross to help with relief efforts. I urge you to donate as well, even if it's only $5, it can help in some way.

It only takes a few minutes to do online by Paypal or credit card - Canadian Red Cross - Japan Earthquake/Asia-Pacific Tsunami 

This weekend one of my best friends, Ashley, is donating half her tips from her waitressing job and her boss is matching whatever amount she raises.

My talented mother selling is ten 36"x24" stretched canvas prints for $195 (trust me, this is a steal of a deal) until March 17 will portion of the proceeds honoring the victims of the earthquake/tsunami. Details here

Pacifica Charity Print

What are you doing to help?


1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    My name is Jen and I work for the Canadian Red Cross. Thank you for supporting our Japan earthquake appeal. We really appreciate it.

    We would love to continue to connect with you. You can find us on Twitter (@redcrosscanada), Facebook (facebook.com/canadianredcross), and our blog is redcrosstalks.wordpress.com.

    Thank you once again for your support!

    ReplyDelete